Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Blog Hop


Trying something new. We'll see if this works.

Here are the rules: Answer one or all of the prompts. Link back to Living a Dream's post. Visit other blogs. And don't forget to ask a question of everyone else!

1. Describe how a horse you have known is sometimes a 'cheeky monkey'. What does he/she do that is a bit naughty? Hmm...I'd have to say the cheekiest horse I've ridden has been Magic Carpet.
My favorite picture of him. Oooh artsy fartsy!
"Cheeky" meaning "very angry that I am in the fetal crouch not letting him jump as if it were 3'. Check out those snarly ears.
He was an older jumper who was lazy, lazy, lazy on the flat...but point him at a jump, and you could practically hear him sniggering, "Hehehe...she doesn't know what's coming to her!" He was a missile.
[Photos of Magic Carpet by Deb Kadish, a friend]


2. What is your favorite thing about spring? (Hmmm... I'm thinking there won't be too many people who say 'shedding horses'!) Hmm...with the recently-acquired knowledge that I am allergic to hay, I'm not really looking forward to short-sleeve weather since I can't protect my arms that way comfortably. Actually, my favorite part of spring is that it's almost summer and the horses will be lazier.

3. What care do you provide for feet? Horse or human! Do you have a special product that you have discovered and just can't do without? I don't really do anything special for my feet. In fact, I tend to abuse them with the shoes I wear for work. On a side note, I saw a girl walking barefoot on campus today. Not on the grass, on the sidewalk. Gross!!!

Oh yeah, this is a horse blog. When I had a horse in high school sometimes I liked to treat him with a little manicure of hoof polish :) Not that girly glittery stuff though.
This isn't him, but those sure are some foofy feet.


4. What is your ideal type of horse fencing (wood, vinyl, wire, electric, etc.) and why? I've never been in the position to consider this since I don't own my own horse, but although I love the look of a white vinyl fence, I think plain wire fencing (not barbed) is probably the easiest to maintain.


Now for my question:
5. What's the best horse advice you've ever gotten from a non-horse-person? I know mine is when I was seriously contemplating switching farms after an absolutely terrible lesson on a flighty horse who was killing my confidence. My boyfriend said, "You know, this is supposed to be fun. You don't go to the barn to add stress to your life." It's good to keep that in mind because it's easy to beat yourself up when things go wrong.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading about the cheeky jumping monkey. I agree, the best thing about spring is that summer follows it. Waling barefoot on a college campus? I agree...gross! I can't stand that dusty/grimy feeling on the bottom of my feet.

    The best advice from a non-horse person comes from my husband when he tells take a break and go ride my horse, even though there is laundry to do, errands to run, furniture to dust...he tells me to get out and ride, the other stuff can wait.

    ReplyDelete